Church History

Built on land donated by the James S. Oldham family.  The Pleasant View Baptist Church was organized with twenty-two charter members and held its first service the second Saturday (13th) in April, 1867.  The first building was constructed of logs and burnt down. The second building was built in 1888 by John Molder, which burnt down after being struck by lightning.  The third and current building was built by John Watkins in 1908.  Since that time, many modifications/additions have taken place. In the fall of 1958, more rooms were added onto the current building.  A special fellowship meeting was held July 25, 1964, dedicating the new basement, hardwood floors, and pews.  A special dedication sermon was preached by Brother Charlie Hunter.  The years following found many changes inside, as well as outside.  One of the long awaited additions came in 1965 in the form of indoor restrooms.  The year 1969 brought new music to the church with a new organ.  The face of the building changed in 1970, with a front lobby.  New siding and a long awaited baptistry were added by 1979.  The year 1991 brought the final edition to the original building.  Classrooms were added and various renovations took place within the building.  Over the years, Pleasant View Baptist Church has seen structual, numerical, and spiritual growth.  Excited about what God has done, we do not rest on the past.  We truly believe that the best days still lie ahead, and we are excited that God will use us to reach more people with the clear Gospel of Jesus Christ.